My first 8-point taken on New Year's Eve '89

Article by Fred Messina, editor of "On Target Outdoors", from the Vicksburg Evening Post on Friday, January 19, 1990. Photo by Bob Phillips.

Bob Phillips came up the other day with a photo of his wife Marian and a deer she got on Brown's Point New Years Eve. The deer was an 8-point with 16 inches of inside spread that weighed in at 190 pounds. A nice trophy in anyone's book. However, the tale Bob told is that this was Marian's fourth deer this year and he claimed that he would have done better than he did if he had not spent so much time hauling Marian's deer out of the woods. Come off it, Bob. We all know who the hunter was.

~Marian's Hunting Stories, etc., etc., etc.~


Sunday, October 23, 2011

My Shadow on a Tree


This picture of me with my shadow on a tree was most likely taken back in 1986-87 hunting season.  I had just started hunting and this was an evening shot.  My stand was near the Big Black River and as the sun was setting I noticed my shadow on a tree near me and took this picture.  I now use it as a logo on my blog called, Marian's Hunting Stories, etc., etc., etc.  It is amazing that you can take one picture and get so many compliments on it throughout the years.  I like it because it's different and a reminder of my early hunting days.  I was in my mid-forties at the time and enjoying hunts at Jasper Bottom Hunting Club in Claiborne County, Mississippi.  Two years ago I had to pull out of my hunting club after 25 years because the fees had gone up.  I really miss hunting there and it's sad that I don't have a deer camp to call my very own anymore.  It is a blessing that my husband and I get invited by friends and family to hunt at their camp or on their land.  I'm wishing all hunters in our great wild outdoors a very successful 2011-2012 hunting season.  Be safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment