My first 8-point taken on New Year's Eve '89

Article by Fred Messina, editor of "On Target Outdoors", from the Vicksburg Evening Post on Friday, January 19, 1990. Photo by Bob Phillips.

Bob Phillips came up the other day with a photo of his wife Marian and a deer she got on Brown's Point New Years Eve. The deer was an 8-point with 16 inches of inside spread that weighed in at 190 pounds. A nice trophy in anyone's book. However, the tale Bob told is that this was Marian's fourth deer this year and he claimed that he would have done better than he did if he had not spent so much time hauling Marian's deer out of the woods. Come off it, Bob. We all know who the hunter was.

~Marian's Hunting Stories, etc., etc., etc.~


Tuesday, October 18, 2011

My Third 8 pt. Buck

Showing off my 3rd 8 pt. from the back of our Toyota Tacoma at my daughter's home.

My 8 pt. on the back of the 4-wheeler at Homewood Hunting Club in Claiborne County.

I shot my 3rd 8 pt. in January 2003 at Homewood Hunting Club in Claiborne County.  I was hunting Mike's Patch and it was getting late in the evening when I noticed a buck walking out in the far right corner. I could not believe that their was another buck further behind him and they were looking straight at me.  I watched them get closer and closer and decided to shoot the first one that walked out.  The second one had a higher rack but this one to me had a wider rack.  When I shot he just stood there and finally took off into the woods.  The other buck stood there for about 20 seconds and took off back into the woods.  I waited about 20 minutes and made my way tracking the blood and found my buck no more than 30 yards into the woods.  I walked back to my stand and got my 4-wheeler and headed back towards camp to wait for Bob and the hunters to come in.  I needed help in getting my deer out.  I was so happy to get another 8 pt., and hopefully one day I will get another buck...maybe a bigger one! 

2 comments:

  1. Hello Marian, thank you for your visit. I hope to see you again.
    I wish you a happy halloween
    Melvin

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome Melvin and will be back to visit you again. Love your singing! Wishing you a Happy Halloween as well! Marian :)

    ReplyDelete